
ST. PAOLO’S CHURCH
Via Mameli
The chuch is open during religious services.
working days 9.00am
public holiday: 9.30am and 5.15pm
www.cittaecattedrali.it
The building of the Barnabite Fathers‘ Church began in 1568 on a project by architect Lorenzo Binago (1554-1629) from Milan and ended in 1595.
In the presbytery there are the paintings “The Conversion of Saint Paul” and “The Beheading of the Saint”, made by Guglielmo Caccia called “Il Moncalvo” (1568- 1625).
Two of the canvas in Saint Matthew’s Chapel,
“The Assumption” and the ovals with the representation of the Theological and Cardinal Virtues, are also by Il Moncalvo, while “The Vocation of Saint Matthew” was painted by Francesco Van Casteel in 1598.
The peculiar and rich chapel on the right , built in the 17th century on the model of the Holy House of Loreto, is extremely impressive.
Commenti recenti