
ST. DOMENICO’S CHURCH
Piazza San Domenico
Saturday 3.00pm-5.30pm and at the weekends of “Casale Città Aperta”
www.cittaecattedrali.it
The building of the Dominican Fathers‘ Church is linked to a vow made by Guglielmo VIII in order to get a male heir. Begun in 1474 in gothic style, it was completed in the early 16th century with the apposition on the façade of a renaissance portal made by craftsmen from Lombardia. Inside, the church is divided in one nave and two aisles by pilasters which support the cross vaults.
Of particular interest are the early 1500 holy water fonts and the stripped fresco “Virgin with the Child between the Saints Domenico and Giovanni Battista” from Giovanni Martino Spanzotti ‘s studio.
In the transept there is the painting by Guglielmo Crosio “Battle of Lepanto” (1626); in the chapel there is the Representation of “Mysteries of the Rosary” from il Moncalvo’s school and on the altar cymatium a canvas representing “God Father” by Guglielmo Caccia. The painting “Virgin with the Rosary” is a work by Musso (1618). Two huge paintings by Pietro Francesco Guala “Miracle of the Book” and “Resurrection of Felice Orsini” occupy the presbytery which was modifi ed halfway through 1700 by the architect Francesco Ottavio Magnocavalli.
The painting “The Battle of the Albigenses” (1724) by Guala is placed in the transept on the right.
On the second last altar there is a Flemish panel The Lady of Grace of the 16th century, and on one side of the entrance there is the funeral Monument of Benvenuto Sangiorgio attributed to Matteo Sanmicheli.
Remarkable the altar frontals in scagliola.

Commenti recenti